Request for Volunteers to Host Summer Institute in Social and Personality Psychology (SISPP) in 2017
The Society for Personality and Social Psychology has offered a bi-annually (in odd-numbered years) a two-week intensive summer experience for up to 80 pre-doctoral students in social and personality psychology since 2003. By all accounts the summer institute has been a success; student attendees and faculty instructors rave about the wonderful opportunity to connect with scholars across the country about research in a specific area. We have been fortunate to have faculty from leading research and teaching institutions host SISPP in the past. These institutions are:
- University of Colorado, Boulder (2003)
- University of Michigan, Ann Arbor (2005)
- University of Texas, Austin (2007)
- Northwestern (2009)
- Princeton University (2011)
- University of California – Davis (2013)
- Northeastern University (2015)
The SISPP Advisory Committee now solicits expressions of interest from universities that might be willing and able to host SISPP in summer 2017. Criteria for a SISPP site are:
1. A reasonably large social psychology program (at least 3- 4 active faculty) to work on local arrangements and supply one or two course co-instructors.
2. A university conference division that is experienced in running conferences and can handle the details of registration, meal tickets, assigning rooms for the SISPP students, etc.
3. An attractive location (in terms of natural beauty, cultural and social opportunities, etc.) where people will want to come.
4. Good availability of transportation (proximity to a major airport).
5. If possible, the availability of some financial support (or in-kind contributions) from the host university, to supplement existing funding from NSF.
6. Appropriate facilities for instruction, informal meetings, participant access to e-mail, etc.
Preliminary expressions of interest are now invited from social psychology programs in the U.S. or Canada. Please send a brief statement (about 1 page) describing specifically how your proposed site meets the above requirements, as well as any additional information that you believe the committee should consider.
Include the name, email address, and phone number of a contact person. Send letters of interest by email to Chad Rummell (on behalf of the SISPP Advisory Committee) at email@example.com by November 13, 2015. The committee will review all statements received and will select one or more that appear to best meet the criteria, then will proceed to more detailed negotiations with those sites and a final decision by January 15, 2016.